We are so proud to be able to offer this compostable case among our products. We at North Ones buys our Pela cases from Canada where Pela produces them. By doing this North Ones can transport the cases from Canada in big batches - lowering the emissions per unit, compared to shipping just one unit direct from pela in Canada to the customer in northern Europe and Scandinavia. We are working closely with Pela to achieve the best possible solution.
The Pela case is made of Flaxtic® which is comprised of compostable elastomer and flax strawmaterials. The material has biobased content to 45% and the remaining 55% is comprised of non renewable resources. The goal is to reach 100% biobased content as soon as possible. The flax straw improves the strength and durability of the product. The material has been tested to be safe and free of phthalates, BPA, cadmium and lead and has been verified to meet child safety standards in the U.S, Canada, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Besides the lack of these toxic substances the Pela Case has considerably lower greenhouse gas emissions and a smaller carbon footprint than traditional plastic cases during the production.
The most sustainable way to handle your Pela case when you are no longer in use of it, is to send it back - creating a possibility to reuse the material into another generation of Pela Cases. Another way to handle your Pela Case is to place it among your bio-based waste (food leftovers etc) since the cases are 100% degradable, just like food. In Sweden, and in most of the European countries your Pela Case will be decomposed to biogas or biofertilizer. The base material meets the standards for biodegradability in an industrial composting facility, ASTM D6400-04 from U.S. and the EN 13432 from E.U. However, since part of the material is comprised of non renewable resources you should not let it decompose on your back yard, which can lead to disseminating a small amount of micro plastic. The industrial decomposers can handle this in a good way, and choosing the Pela Case helps with the transition from fossil-dependent production to a renewable products.